Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Am I Crazy?

Sorry I have not been able to blog for a couple of days. I had the terrible horrible stomach flu. Honestly I did not get out of bed for 3 days. It has been a really long time, years to be exact, since I have been this sick. YUK YUK YUK!

At any rate, here are today's thoughts. Several people have told me over the past few days that I am absolutely crazy for taking on the challenge of completing an Ironman since I have never completed any distance in a triathlon. Here are my comments:
1. Always reach for the clouds.
2. You never know if you don't try
OK, OK I sound like a record from the 70's but seriously I never been one of those people that gives much thought to whether or not I can do something I just assume I can. Have I ever failed? Certainly but then I just try again.

So the Ironman is November 1st. I have exactly 247 days until I have to be ready. Could I run a marathon tomorrow? Yes. Could I bike 112 miles tomorrow? Probably not. The longest I have ridden so far is 50 miles and one additional 2.5 hour ride. Can I swim 2.4 miles? DEFINITELY NOT! Am I scared? Yes. Will that stop me? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I think as long as I have a challenge I am alive. Take away challenges and what have you got? Status Quo. I think that we were put here for a purpose greater than just being or living the Status Quo. I think we need to exceed our own expectations of what we can do and who we are as a person, a friend, a companion, a parent.

So here I am. I am signed up, paid up and starting on an incredible journey. I know I will be able to cross the finish line. What will I learn on the way? Stay Tuned!

XOXOXOX
Elizabeth

No comments: