Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Ok I did it!

Quote for today "I guess it comes down to a simple choice really. Get busy living or get busy dying!" -The Shawshank Redemption

So I finally got into the pool. Let me tell you I was terrified. It is not an easy thing to go from being the coach to the pupil. I have been avoiding the swim like you would not believe. However one of my dearest friends and an Ironman 70.3 Finisher Melissa told me it was time to get over it. I met her on Monday night at the Downtown YMCA for some "lessons." Another friend of ours who is also a swim instructor, Karen, met us there. Melissa of course had her own workout to do so she was already in the water by the time I had changed into my swimsuit. To say I had butterflies is the understatement. I don't think I have been this scared of anything since I had my first child.

When you are a coach, you are the authority. I do not by any means think that I know everything about running or that I don't have much more to learn but I do feel confident in my ability to complete the distance. When you are the pupil, at least in my case, I am just waiting to fail. I am scared to say the least and sometimes I let that fear get the best of me.

At any rate, I got into the water and Karen said - "Ok do a 4 lap warm-up." I started laughing. You see I could not even figure out how to get my swim cap on. After a few pretty funny attempts and some rubber slapping on my forehead, I finally got the cap on and I started doing my version of the freestyle. After a couple of laps she had me put on swim fins. Apparently I need to lift and squeeze my butt. In a few short yards, my quads were burning but I kept going. 13 laps later (650 yards) my arms and legs were shaking and I was totally out of breath.

I HAD DONE IT! Completed my first swim. I have to say I am proud of myself but still terrified of the swim portion of the triathlon. I definitely need to get back into the pool especially considering I have a sprint triathlon next weekend. I certainly am not the fastest or the most proficient swimmer in the pool but I was able to move in a forward direction. I hope it will be easier to get back in the water.

It has definitely been a few days of complete reality check. I had also done a bike workout on Saturday with Missey and the Orlando Tri team in Clermont. When I asked if I could join her on the bike, I didn't realize that they were going to do a hill workout. I had to get off the bike on two of the hills and walk the bike to the top. I could not get the bike in a low enough gear to be able to keep moving in a forward direction. Gravity was winning the contest. As a runner I LOVE hills and enjoy running hill repeats. However as a biker, the hills WON!

I know that there are many more months of training and hopefully gaining the knowledge and incite to overcome my fears before the IMFL. I want to hear my name as I cross the finish line in Panama City - "Elizabeth Crepeau, You ARE an IRONMAN!"

No comments: